Thursday 4 October 2012

I Made it to Australia!








I guess as I haven't blogged for 7 months that I really should start up again! My sister keeps asking for posts so here it goes!

For those of you that don't know (not sure how you wouldn't know by now!), I have moved to Australia! I am so excited to finally be here after months and months of planning with Elliot (the Aussie reason I'm over here in the first place) and it already feels normal and natural to be in ridiculous heat day in and day out.

I arrived 3 weeks ago to meet up with my good buddy Helz who is currently travelling the world on her own adventure. It made sense to coincide our journey's so we could have some travel time together and catch up properly before she contines on her way and I start to live the Aussie dream!

We travelled through Sydney, Melbourne, Byron Bay, Surfers Paradise and then Brisbane where Elliot's flight was landing two weeks after I left. Helz has been blogging her way round the world so if you want to take a look at her posts of the ins and outs of our time together than you can read so here.

Helz and I went our seperate ways last Friday and she headed off to Noosa to go to Australia Zoo whilst I stayed with Elliot and his family in Brisbane. The reunion between him and his Mum was incredible to watch. I met up with Laureen (his Mum) before he arrived and she was so excited for the reunion, as you can imagine after 2 1/2 years! It was an anxious wait as Elliot took forever and a day to come through the other side but once he did we were both thrilled (and relieved!). We saw Helz off to her train then went back to his Auntie's house for a bit of R&R.

I'd booked us into a 5* hotel for Elliot's birthday which was just fabulous! We strolled in wearing shorts, flip flops (aka thongs) and our back packs and we certainly didn't fit in with the posh decor. But, once we got to our luxury room with ace views of the Brisbane River, the fact we looked so scruffy didn't matter. The next morning we managed to have the pool all to ourselves (mainly because we were up so early due to Elliot's jet lag!) and we had a relaxing start to the day before heading back to Team Jensen for more catching up with the family.

His family have made me feel incredibley welcome and it's been a very easy transition for me which I am eternally grateful to them for. I am now in Bundaberg at his Mum's awesome new house which certainly feels like home. The weather is blooming hot but I'm just about surviving (saying that, I am currently sat with epic bright red sun burn on my back from a trip to the beach at Elliott's Head this morning!! But Laureen has just rubbed Aloe Vera into my back that she plucked from the garden - how Australian!!).

I'll keep you posted on my where abouts and when we finally get to Mackay and settle in a bit more. Will be in Bundy for another week or so and we're having a 'Welcome Home' party on Saturday which I'm really looking forward to. Let's see if the Aussie's can drink like I think they can!

Love to you all xx

No comments:

Post a Comment